Sunday, May 10, 2009

Plying Experiment

My experiments plying a singles with plain sewing thread really didn't work well at all. However, I was inspired to try to spin directly with the thread, then ply the resulting yarn on itself. That created an interesting helical effect (because they were different colors). You can see it in the photo - it's the one on the left. Try and click on the photo and you will be able to see a very enlarged version so the effect will be really clear.

Then I wanted to try it with yarn I made, instead of sewing thread. So, follow the bouncing ball (of yarn!):
- I spun a singles Z twist
- I plied the singles S twist
So far, normal two ply yarn.
- Then I spun the yarn Z twist with some fiber.
- Then I plied the resulting yarn S twist on itself.
I got the same interesting helical effect as with the thread, of course. It wasn't terribly uniform, so it created a sort of interesting funky yarn. It's in the photo, on the right. I think it's overspun and overplied.
I want to see how it knits up - I fear it might not be very attractive.

1 comment:

lacinitting said...

That is really interesting. I can't wait to see the plys in person! It is hot here in Florida and will be glad to be back in cooler weather!!